The Mission Today
Since the mission period the Santa Barbara Mission has many purposes. It has been used for a Junior college for boys, a Ceminary opened at the mission, and until the summer of 1968 the school of theolegy for the Franciscan Provin of Saint Barbara was located in the mission building. Today the church at the mission is used by the Parish of Saint Barbara. After Mexico won it's independence it found that it could no longer afford to keep the missions running as Spain had done. In 1934 the lands were divided into smaller ranchos and sold to Mexican citizens. Ater 30 years, the missions were returned to the catholic church. the Santa Barabara mission is the only mission to remain under the leadership of the Franciscan Friars since the day of its founding until today.